Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Jake
 Jake
(@jake)
Ruler of Yeld Admin
10/09/2019 1:03 pm  

Happy to answer questions!

The Dog: We purposely designed the Dog to be better at some things and worse at others. For example, the Dog starts off with more Core dice and Special dice than any other Friend, but as you noticed  only having a single "hand" can be a big drawback!

You're right that the Dog who is a spell caster needs to hold its Spellbook to cast spells, and that means no bonus dice from a Staff. A Dog also won't be able to attack witha  Two-Handed Weapon like an Axe, Staff or Bow, although the Dog can still hold them in its mouth to gain their bonus. For example, if the Dog wants to climb a wall it can hold an axe in its mouth and benefit form those 2 extra Strong dice when it rolls.

This may make it seem like the Dog can't be a good spellcaster or Shepherd, but really what it means is that the Dog needs to take a different approach. Dog Spell casters focus more on casting the easier (but still powerful) spells like Hurt and Refresh, and rely more on bonuses from Action Chains and Food. Class specific Special dice like Hate, Blood Draw, Sacrifice, Last Chance and Patience really help the Dog cast tougher spells.

Thanks to their extra Brave dice and Special dice like Run and Bite Dogs make fast and dangerous combatants no matter what Job they take, even if they don't use a weapon. But Dogs are great with single hand weapons like Clubs, Daggers, Brooms and Swords, or even Shields! Dog Freelancers specialize in Shield Defense or Club attacks that break armor, while Dog Shepherds take on support roles and fight along side their Sheep using Special dice like Bite and Karate Chop.

But we'll have some neat options for Dogs soon, including one handed Dog Bows!

Getting Core dice back is easier than it might seem, but often Friends will be down a core die or two for awhile. Here's a few ways to get Core dice back:

- Paying Coins to stay at an Inn lets a Friend gain back 1 Core die each night. Each Friend needs to be paid for (generous Friends can pay for each other). Remember, you can stay at an Inn as many nights in a  row as you like without leaving as long as you pay. 

- Each Friend can make one or more Restore rolls each session to gain back one or more Core dice. There are several Special dice that add to Restore rolls, and you ca eat a Food item to help out as well!

- Friends with the First  Aid Special dice can use it to make Restore rolls for other Friends.

- Friends with the Refresh or Refresh All spells can use it to restore lost Core dice.

- If the entire group becomes Ghosts they return to their Home Inn and automatically regain 1 lost Tough die no payment required!

So as you play you'll discover more and more ways to conserve your Core dice. You'll also learn what kind of Monsters are a risk for you to fight and what kind of actions you can take to stay effective without risking losing dice!

Staying in an Inn (even a drippy cave) does always require spending 1 Coin for each friend that wants to regain a Core die. Think of it this way: If that drippy cave isn't worth leaving a few coins as a tribute its probably not comfortable enough to really let you rest and relax! As for who you're paying the coins too... you might be leaving them as an offering or tribute to local spirits and small gods, or to a fish or snake that was kind enough to share their wet little cave for the night.

I hope that helps?

Be kind

ReplyQuote
Tildesee
(@tildesee)
Rank 1 Hero
10/09/2019 1:42 pm  

You give such delightfully thorough answers 😀

Those responses absolutely help plenty. Good to know I was on the right track with the Dog, and wasn't seeing quite the whole picture with restoring Core dice 🙂 Also, I really love this: "If that drippy cave isn't worth leaving a few coins as a tribute its probably not comfortable enough to really let you rest and relax!" Like, even if you're not paying the coins to anyone at all, it frames it very much that being comfortable and being grateful go hand in hand, which is just beautiful, both as a teaching tool and as a fiction framing device <3

It's almost like y'all knew what you were doing 😉 😉

ReplyQuote
Jake
 Jake
(@jake)
Ruler of Yeld Admin
10/09/2019 2:29 pm  

Thanks!

And listen, if you ask about Yeld I'm going to talk for hours!

Yeld uses an approach to abstracting rules that seems very natural to Nick and I  but I think is maybe less intuitive t a lot of people who are expecting (or at leas used to) the conventions of tabletop games. When Nick and I write rules we always think "How would this work in a video game like Secret of Mana or Harvest Moon?" and then once we figure that out we say "okay, now how do we make this work on the table?" As a result a lot of the rules in Yeld don't adhere to tabletop logic. Instead, I'd invite you to think of them in video game logic.

Be kind

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register