Clear all

Coins  

RSS

Nom
 Nom
(@nom)
Rank 1 Hero
28/08/2020 4:39 pm  

Gaining coins: If I have "no coins" and I gain "Lots of Coins" from a loot table, do I now have "Some coins" or "Lots of coins".

If "some coins", I take it the only difference between gaining "some coins" and "lots of coins" is that "some coins" won't raise "some coins" to "lots of coins", but "lots of coins" will?

It would be helpful if the rulebook (and Mermaid Hunters) was a little clearer about coins.  I think it's obvious in your head, but not everything in your head made it to the rulebook.

Topic Tags
Jake
 Jake
(@jake)
Ruler of Yeld Admin
01/09/2020 12:08 am  

Hi Nom.

You're right that gaining coins isn't as intuitive as it should be.

On page 31 of the rule book under the "Coins and buying Stuff" header it says:

"The first time a Friend received Coins their Coin Level will increase to Some (from None), and it will increase again each tie they gain more Coins."

So a Friend who has Some Coins and gains Some Coins will have lots of Coins. A Friend with Lots of Coins who gains Some Coins or Lots of Coins will have Tons of Coins. Gaining any Coins always increases your Coin Level to the next level. 

Pretty simple (if not clearly explained).

But... 

The rule book presents several opportunities to gain Lots or Tons of Coins. Often as Treasure. According to the rule above this would only increase your Coin level by one level. So if your Coin Level was None and you found Tons of Coins, it would only increase your level by one, to Some Coins. But our intent was that if you Found a large amount of Coins it would EITHER increase your Coin Level by 1 OR increase it to that amount.

For example:

Dino finds a pile of Treasure containing Tons of Coins. Dino's Coin level is None, but finding Tons of Coins increases his Coin Level to Tons!

Does that make sense?

You're right that sometimes things that seem clear to us as designers aren't always clear to players. And sometimes that's doubly confused because players have preconceived ideas of how things work based on other games (and thats even further confused because we then don't understand why you don't understand!). Play testing and feedback clears up a lot of those issues, but sometimes an idea makes it through those stages and is still not clearly presented. When this happens we takes notes and put them aside for an eventual text revision and book reprint.

- Jake

Be kind

ReplyQuote
Nom
 Nom
(@nom)
Rank 1 Hero
01/09/2020 11:30 am  

Thanks Jake, yes, that makes sense.

It would be helpful to expand on coins a bit more (either in the Loot section or the Coins section) including some examples.

ReplyQuote
Share: