Forum

Review: 1st play  

RSS

Nom
 Nom
(@nom)
Rank 1 Hero
24/07/2019 8:06 am  

Players: myself (GM), kids 14, 13 & 11, wife.

Setup.  Friends find an abandoned house, poke around, find undisturbed attic.  Each loots an item from the attic, and then they hear crying from behind a curtain in the corner.  Find door, head through.

Built 3 encounters inspired by the broccoli lobster.  A mad fairy cook is creating sentient killer vegetables.  Take down veggies, win cooking contest against cook, defeat cook.

Review:

* team really seemed to enjoy character creation, intro, exploring house.  Stuff bogged down when it came to combat; felt a bit static, a bit swingy, and they didn't really get into it.  Keen to "get jobs so we can try it properly".

Any suggestions?

Jake
 Jake
(@jake)
Ruler of Yeld Admin
27/07/2019 2:35 pm  

Fights can be a little swingy right in the beginning, since Friends only have a Few Core dice and a limited selection of Weapons and Special dice. I'd recommend focusing on Challenges (Can we sneak into this cave? Can we hide from this Fairy? can we climb across this log over the waterfall?)

Having just one or two small fights during the first few adventures is probably best. Focusing on smaller Monsters with interesting Special dice is a good approach.  For example, the Slim Slime's Disarm dice can really disrupt a Fight without actually sending a Friend to the Ghost World. The Goblin Kid's Jinx and Cry dice can make sure the Friends don't eliminate it too fast.

Once the Friends have had a chance to buy a Special die and get a hold of a weapon or item Fights stat to become more interesting. When the Friends take on Jobs combat really hits its stride.

We'll be releasing a set of stater adventures soon focused on exploration, challenges and simple fights that are designed to guide players through the first few adventures and to their first Jobs.

- Jake

Be kind

ReplyQuote
Nom
 Nom
(@nom)
Rank 1 Hero
27/07/2019 3:40 pm  
Posted by: Jake

We'll be releasing a set of stater adventures soon focused on exploration, challenges and simple fights that are designed to guide players through the first few adventures and to their first Jobs.

Awesome.  I think you've made the right choice in that you've got a long-term all-ages RPG with a solid advancement system (some other indie RPGs I've played are balanced well with starter characters but either lack a workable advancement system or become unbalanced quickly).  But I think some bootstrap adventures would be helpful.  The perception that it's "not fun without Jobs" could derail what I see as a very cool intro.

My other observation was that lack of Brave or Run dice can be crippling for new Friends.  "6 squares away and move 1" - hmm.  There are workarounds if players have chosen a useful starting Special die (e.g. Tease was used quite effectively - perhaps too effectively given that the foes generally had no hope of engaging).  Have you thought about using a 6x6 board initially?

ReplyQuote
Jake
 Jake
(@jake)
Ruler of Yeld Admin
27/07/2019 4:16 pm  

our thought has always been that the pre-Job Adventures are Yeld's "starting zone". you don't stay there for long, just long enough to learn the basics. The meat of the game is all in Rank 1-4, and thats where most players will spend 99% of their time.

Of course that means they have to get there first. The starting experience is intentionally a little limiting, since we wanted players to feel like they start out as a very basic kid but grow quickly in their first few adventures. As a side effect of that, the first adventure (or two) often feel a little stifled. Combat is sometimes one sided, Challenges can be too hard or too easy, etc. Our solution to that was always going to be introducing a set of guided adventures to help players enjoy this starting part of the game. However, we're only now finally getting around to that. being a two person team is hard, and a lot of our plans just take so long to implement.

We have a few suggestions for starter games to help things go smoother:

- Friends with only 1 Tough die should consider assigning their extra Core die to Tough when creating their Friend. Friends with just one Brave die might want to assign that extra core die to Brave instead.

- Run, Charge and Jump are all great Special dice to choose when making a Friend. 

- During the first Adventures the Game Master should make sure that Monsters move toward Friends. Choosing fast monsters (monsters with lots of Brave or Run) like the Skelebat or Young Wolf will help make sure that Fights get started fast.  Having Monsters start in the middle of the Action Board is just fine too!

- Friends should be encouraged to Dash (double move) on their first turn if they can't get to the Monster. Alternatively, this is a great time to learn about Banking Actions. Moving and Banking can allow a Friend to have an extra Action available later in the turn.

- The Game master should pay attention to the Core and Special dice the Friend's selected and chose Monsters and Challenges that compliment these choices.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.

- Jake

Be kind

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register